A couple of additional laser + fabric experiments…
Our first fire! 🙂 Here we were cutting very fine letters, and it was a little too much for the fabric to handle.
Here’s FLC’s Feminist Alliance logo on some contrasting fabric.
Our next step will be to try the process with fusible appliqué paper.
Having recently had students spinning yarn, I decided to make another shuttle for our community loom, as the one we’ve got has a crack in it. I snapped a photo of it, brought it into Illustrator, added a few guides, and was able to pretty quickly create a fairly similar copy.
I cut the shuttle out of 1/4 birch plywood using our laser cutter. It needs a bit of sanding and filing, but I think it will make a pretty decent replacement.
The files (Illustrator *.ai and PDF) and instructions are up on Thingiverse, or you can just grab the pdf here: simple_shuttle
In week 4 of Making Social Change, we talked about Indian independence, and about the emblematic role of khadi – handspun and hand-woven cloth – in the movement. Building upon the prototype Erica Tyler (Anthropology) developed as part of the Making Across the Curriculum faculty maker academy of summer 2016, and on our preview event from spring 2017, students created drop spindles using dowels, hooks, and laser cut whorls.
Erica made herself available to talk about “women’s work” in the Archeological record, and showed students how to spin roving into yarn.
With any luck, the community loom will soon have a bit more handspun yarn added to it.
Walked in this morning to find this!