- Update on LMS Work Group
- The LMS Work Group derives its authority from LRCCD R-7145 (see 4.1.1 http://losrios.edu/legal/Regulations/R-7000/R-7145.pdf). FLC is being represented on the work group by Zack Dowell, Gary Hartley, Jennifer Kraemer and Ian Wallace. Zack Dowell is also the LRCFT representative on the work group.
- At the first meeting of the work group, the body decided to look at Instructure Canvas not in a vacuum, but within the larger context of the Online Education Initiative, which includes a suite of free and reduced-cost services, including tutoring and support (see https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1HizVK87qvsbHZvUGRVOVBPNHc/view?usp=sharing).
- The committee is currently reviewing “DRAFT Los Rios LMS Selection Criteria” (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1HizVK87qvselY0Q0VZMzlZSkU/view?usp=sharing) which will be used to evaluate Canvas.
- Update on DE Subcommittee of Curriculum
- Lightboard example: https://youtu.be/ZR-hf-KJ0_4
- Other topics of interest
We talked to Bryan Alexander (NITLE) about Pearson’s and Blackboard’s flirtations with “openness.”
Pearson OpenClass – http://youtu.be/W8Bm2o-pHWQ
Blackboard’s Press Release – http://www.blackboard.com/About-Bb/Media-Center/Press-Releases.aspx?releaseid=1618654
In early January 2011 LRCCD will be upgrading to the newest version of the D2L System, 9.1. The upgrade will bring us many improvements to existing functions and some new tools as well. Detailed information about the changes and improvements here.