FLC’s Science Center runs a series of hands-on Friday science activities, and we decided to support their efforts by creating a collectible sticker for each activity. We based the sizing on the hexbin hexagonal sticker specification, and Rebekah (student) designed and cut a sheet of prototypes…
…which were refined to create version 2.0 (Neuroscience: Brainwaves, Polygraphs, Action potentials, and Remote-Control your Classmates, UCD: College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences recruiting session, Cadaver Viewing, Cyanotyping, Essential Oil Extraction Using Steam Distillation, Infectious Diseases, Fun Science Activities Suitable for Home, The Innovation Center Makerspace, GIS and Geography)
We’ve moved into production, using our vinyl cutter to create the first batch (for Max Mahoney’s cyanotype activity). Gotta catch ’em all!
Taylor and Zainub and Jeremy and CJ (students) and Diane Carlson (Sociology) and I collaborated on a display to accompany the culminating event of the college’s Social Justice Spring events.
Here Taylor and Zainub are creating a physical (and metaphorical) wall from felt and fabric…
We remixed Shepard Fairey’s “We the People” series, then used the vinyl cutter to create large stickers. Diane and I preparing a sticker for transfer…
…and Diane and Jeremy laying out the words for the display.
Here’s the wall, about to be torn down…
…and here’s the final result, beautifully back-lit:
A great and powerful wrap-up for an important month-long series of activities. I’m proud of our college!
A couple of days ago, in the midst of the x-carve build, a new vinyl cutter arrived.
I had seen a lab full of them at a recent visit to Portland Community College’s MakerSpace, and Gregg Meyer (coordinator of the space and all-around enthusiastic and generous person) mentioned that they were an inexpensive and useful bit of gear, and quite accessible to makers at all skill levels.
We needed a project to put the new machine through its paces, so we decided to label the experimental aquaponics system. The software that comes with the machine is pretty straightforward, and we were able to design and cut out some signage relatively quickly. After cutting out the letters, we realized we didn’t have any transfer paper, so we made do with blue painter’s tape.
The transfer went off without a hitch!